Worldschooling - our travel school.
Our first homeschooling year was 2015-2016. We both, me and my daughter Anna, packed 2 backpacks and flew to Malaysia. With a one-way ticket. Anna actually had to go to 4th grade.
I decided to teach my daughter myself. I had no experience with teaching and generally never wanted to teach anyone. I don't have the patience for it.
The disappointment came very fast, in the first week. When I realized ...
1) After 3 school years in Berlin my daughter was still struggling with multiplication table. We were in a taxi in Malaysia and I asked her to calculate 5 X 10. She couldn't. I almost freaked out!
2) Anna's English consisted of a few separate words like Dog, Cat, School. She couldn't make any single sentence.
3) She didn't like any subject. She only learned something under pressure ...
After almost 9 months traveling around in South East Asia (we traveled to 7 countries: Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Singapore, Maldives) we came back to Germany. I was worried that Anna would have to go back to the 4th grade. But the big surprise came - after a year without school, my daughter just joined her previous classmates. After a year without school she became better in all subjects!
I was endlessly proud of both of us. And at the same time disappointed with the German school system. Anna's newly acquired joy in learning passed in the first few weeks. After a year in Germany, we decided to continue travelling. And we are still on the road. For almost 4 years now.
We both produced a documentary film about this first trip together: "Anna, Asia and I. 250 days on the road". Our film was screened in many German cinemas in autumn 2019 and was so well received by the audience! If any of you needs some inspiration - now the film is available for download with English subtitles.
PS Oh, so that no questions remain open
1) Anna managed multiplication table
2) Anna is fluent in English now (her mother tongues are German and Russian)
3) Anna learned how to learn. Independently and with joy.
We produced a documentary film about our first long time trip together - "Anna, Asia and Me. 250 Days on the Road". We screened this documentary in many German cinemas in 2019, and now it is available as a DOWNLOAD with English subtitles.
Here is the trailer.